Sunday, April 14, 2013

Why I can ditch the iPhone for Android

If you do not want personal stories about infidelity, please read it again. After falling in love with my iPhone for a few years now, my attention will be taken to another place and I'm not fighting it. I have an iPhone fan since the first time I got my hands on one: it instantly makes my BlackBerry (RIMM) feel like an ugly brick designed by orangutans. What I want to do this forever long, and it was almost exactly what I've done since I first got one-up, which, I switched to an Android phone over the holidays.I will not decide to try the Android phone because I was not happy with Apple (AAPL) or iPhone. I still think the iPhone is one of the, best designed products most interesting that I used to. I have a MacBook Air and iPad that I love well-equipped, and I recommend them whenever I get the chance. But I admit that I am envious of the Android phones for a while after seeing my friends as my colleague Kevin Tofel at GigaOM use them and then borrow one last fall on a trip to Amsterdam for our Structure: European conference.Part what I attracted a larger screen on the Nexus and other phones. I want to read Web pages and documents and view pictures on my phone, so the screen real estate more attractive. But I'm also interested in open Android ecosystem, and wondered if it would be a benefit, compared to Apple's walled garden walks for iOS.There no question that the Apple beautiful garden, wall garden going. It is very well maintained: rude or annoying apps that keep coming out and everyone checked to make sure it works well, which is a big advantage. In other words, the bar is hard to see behind all the beautiful flowers. But in some cases, useful items stored as well as content, applications, or methods of integration with other networks and services can not meet Apple's standards (or who do not want to pay Apple for the privilege). Here is an anecdote that sums up the difference between the two platforms for me: When I take a picture with Android phones (Motorola (GOOG) Razr HD), it suddenly occurred to me that maybe I could do this beam My TV somehow. I have a media hub of Western Digital (WDC) with all my pictures here, usually have to copy photos from iPhone to computer with iTunes and then share it with WD hub. I thought maybe I could block it from Android because the hub is a device DLNA (DLNA kind of open standard version of Apple Airplay for wireless networks). Within five minutes, I downloaded an app to post my picture on the WD hub, and we are looking for it on TV. I do the same thing with YouTube video.Another bulb moment happened when I went to share Web pages from Motorola. When you do this on the iPhone, you can choose between Twitter, Facebook (FB), e-mail, and print, but on Android, share your menu is longer than the screen. You can share just about anything with just about anything, whether it be a Web service or an application. For me, it's sort of metaphorical two platforms.It's probably possible to file your pictures on your television with your iPhone or iPad, but to do that you will need Apple TV and AirPlay and committed other part of the Apple ecosystem (such as iTunes, which I I always hated to admit using). If you have a motley crew of non-Apple tech way Western Digital My hubs and I run Ubuntu desktop-like second class citizens in some way because Apple often does not play well with others. For a while, I see something that I've seen others, like Liz Gannes says All Things Digital: I'm slowly replacing many services from Apple and Google's default apps such as Maps and Mail, or made by someone else. IPhone hardware itself still appeal because it is so well made and nice to hold. But for the service, Apple has never really been the best, and you can see that things like the things about iPhone iCloud.I Nona. As Ralf Rottmann, who wrote a great post about making a similar move, iMessage because I lost a lot of friends and family has an iPhone. I also lost Photostream, which is a great way to have images automatically show I took my iPad and MacBook Air. But I mostly copied by using the auto-upload to Google and Facebook, as well as open-source image hosting service called Openphoto using Amazon (AMZN) S3 hosting.When I tried to describe the difference between the two platforms to my friends, I would like this: In iOS, if you want to do something, there may be one or two applications that will let you, and they work pretty well but if you want those features, you do not have luck. In Android, if you want to do something on the phone, with 15 or 20 apps to help you, and many are free, most do not do everything you want and some really work the way you want them to For me it boils down to this: Apple has a great design, but it limits your options in all sorts of ways. I see more and more closely bar, despite all the beautiful flowers. But Android offers a kind of "tyranny of choice." In the end, I think the choice and greater transparency, though it looks less attractive at first glance. That is why I am thinking of moving permanently. I'm sorry, Steve.Also from GigaOM: Mobile Fourth-Quarter 2012 Review (subscription required) Why Big Data Will Even Bigger Losses in 2013Apple Retail Exec: It's getting Explanation Close SVP New Really Tiny How Facebook Search Charts? Works'Advanced 'Energy Is Over-Trillion-Dollar Market and really grew in 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment